Monday, September 29, 2014

Gettin' the Ball Rolling

[I finally mapped where he is and San Juan Sacatepequez is 25 km, or 30 minutes, northwest of Guatemala City. Population in 2002 census was 82,000]

Hello all,
Well my second week is officially over, and things are speeding up slowly but surely. We've got a few new investigators and we were so stinking close to being able to put a baptismal fecha! (date) Next week for sure, but Hermana Ofelia just feels like she needs to know a bit more.
CCM Companion - Elder Pilling

It's been pretty hard to work with the less actives and recent converts recently because we haven't been able to leave our main part of the area because of minor safety reasons. There's been some protesting happening in our area and Presidente Caffaro wants us to stay where we have a direct route to the capital just in case. The thing is most of our converts and less actives live out in the satellite towns. It's been tough, but we're really working on getting the members more involved to keep them active. 
CCM District at Wendy's!!

I've had 2 divisions (splits) this week and both have been really helpful. Our district is struggling right now so we're going to be doing a lot of divisions to get things up and going again. My second one was on Friday with one of the zone leaders. His name is Elder Rocha from Mexico. He fed me some real salsa and I was really happy. Here in Guatemala they don't flavor their food much and it's a little bit depressing. He helped me a lot with my Español as well. I'm coming out of my shell little by little and my contacting is improving a lot. I know I just need to be patient and work hard and the Lord will bless me with the courage to do everything he has prepared me to do. 
Guatemala's equivalent to the USA White House

This church is true and the message we carry is the message of salvation. All the world needs what we have, and now is the time to share it. There's 6 billion people walking in darkness, and we have only 80,000 working full time to bring them the light. But we have 15 million that could be helping. Everyone who isn't serving a mission, you are the real missionaries; you are the friends, the coworkers, the family members, the teammates; the ones who can have a lasting impact on those around you. Don't be afraid to preach the Gospel, the Lord will fill your mouth if you open it. Share the light, share the love, share the Gospel. They will listen.

I love you all so much and I thank you for your prayers,
Elder Jackson



Dear family,
Elder Jackson's Apartment
Elder Bankhead is from Missouri and he has 14 months in the mission. He wants to be an orthodontist so we talk about that and dentistry a bit. I think a better analogy for me would be a little turtle launched by a catapult miles away from his pond. But I'm emerging inch by inch. [this in in reference to my letter about our family being a flotilla of strong sea faring vessels ready to weather any storm. Alas, we have a turtle in the flotilla....]
The TRAINER - Elder Bankhead


This second week has been one big learning experience for me with divisions, and lots of other things happening. I still love it here, and I plan to always. Elder Bankhead and I are the only ones in our apartment, but the Hermanas who we work with live just down the road. They're super pilas (hardworking/awesome) from Honduras and Mexico. 

I can't wait til General Conference either! It's going to be amazing, even if I have to listen to it in Español. I love you all so much and I hope you all just keep being awesome! Though I'm still waiting on emails or letters from others.

Til next week,
Elder Ben Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment